Thursday, February 26, 2009

Book Club

I've never been a big fan of the book club. Let me explain:) One could say I'm a genra snob. Ok, I dont think snob ever defines me but I do pretty much only read fantasy. They entertain me, they're far from reality, usually clean, and though predictible...its a format I enjoy. The idea of having to read a book every month that someone else picks just doesn't interest me. It brings me back to my High School days when teachers made us read classics like Jane Ayre, Our Town, Native Son, and the list could go on and on. I will give them props for at least covering Shakespeare which were probably the only stories I actually read my whole High School career.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. So I was invited to a book club on Facebook by a guy friend from a singles ward years back. I figured if guys are involved then maybe we'd get beyond the "Oprah" list, which I'm not a big fan of. Sure enough, our first book was "Lone Survivor", a story about a Navy Seal's fight for his life in the mountains of Afganistan. It was a great read full of adventure, moral dilema's and true heroism and I would recommend it to anyone.


Our next book is "The Irregulars" which is a spy novel about Roald Dahl, the author of books like "James & the Giant Peach" and "Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory". He was a British spy along with some of his contempories such as Ian Flemming who created "James Bond". So once again we've avoided the self indulgent girl coming of age in an environment of neglect or abuse story. If we can stay on this track I might actually become a regular practicing member of an official BOOK CLUB!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I know what you mean about reading the random books people choose. I am not as fantasy crazy as you, but I am pretty picky about books. Cool that there are guy influences in the book choosing. I can see how that would help keep my interest too. Maybe I'll have to pick up one of those books.

Laura C. said...

I'm currently reading The High Druid of Shannara series from Terry Brooks. I didn't read it when it came out, but it's got me hankering for a few good David Eddings books I love as well - so I know what you mean by the genre snob.

I'm glad the book club is keeping your interest. I'm with you (and Steph) I've never really been excited about reading someone else's opinion of a decent book.