Friday, June 26, 2009

Do You Remember the Time....


I'm not really a person that defines moments of my live with music, but if I think back over the years I can remember many times Michael Jackson's music was on the forefront of the pop culture that defines my generation. I was in the 4th or 5th grade when Thriller came out. I wasnt into pop music but remember the kids talking about Billy Jean, and the Thriller video that was new to MTV (back in the original days of Music Television when it still had videos:) Then kids started wearing the jackets with the zippers and the sequined gloves. Again, I was never really on the band waggon but it was pop culture after all. There was "We are the World" and that weird Wizard of Oz movie. In my teen years there was Bad and in college Black or White was the rage. I even remember Laura doing a Thriller routine in High School that I thought was so cool. Down to the present, this past year I attended Thriller at Halloween and it was amazing fun.

I guess the purpose of this post is that its interesting to think of the impact one person can have on the world. He wasnt all that important to me personally, but I recognize how much he contributed to music, dance, and basically all forms of entertainment. Now with his passing, he will go on to become an icon the likes of Marilyn, Elvis and James Dean.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Thriller was my very first casette tape purchase.

I like your tribute here, Audrey.

Oh . . . did you ever see "Free to Be You and Me?" You can find segments of it on youtube. Michael J was a teen when he made that movie--we watched it in elementary school a lot. It's pretty fun.